Inverclyde Now Logo FOOTBALL — Update From Port Glasgow Boys’ Club

24 October, 2017 | Sport

Under-17s Port Glasgow BC 4 Antonine 0

Looking to continue their run of good form, Port welcomed Antonine to Parklea. Similar to the previous week, Port came out of the traps flying and created a chance within the first minute. Ryan Phillips stole the ball from Antonine’s kick-off and played a pass to Josh Lafferty whose touch was just too heavy to get a shot on goal. Port did get ahead soon after when a kick out from Lewis Lafferty was flicked on by Ryan Phillips to Josh Lafferty who timed his run superbly to beat the off-side trap and shoot in to the Antonine net. Antonine almost hit back but Lewis Lafferty pulled off a great save in the Port goal.

Port doubled their lead when Ryan Phillips went on a good run down the right. He cut inside but the defender cut out his pass, however a poor pass from the defender into his own box saw Jack Anderson shoot at goal but it was blocked. However it fell to Josh Lafferty who scored his and Port’s second. Port continued to pile on the pressure and Josh Brolly had a header cleared off the line from a Reuben Ballingall corner. Ryan Phillips then had two good chances to put Port further ahead but one just went past the post and the other shot was into the keeper’s hands. As the first half was drawing to a close, Reuben Ballingall tried his luck from distance but saw his shot come back off the bar.

In the second half, Port were still on the attack. Josh Lafferty put a good ball into the box but Ryan Phillips just couldn’t connect. The best goal of the game came when Josh Lafferty won the ball down the left. He ran at the defence and rounded the keeper to score from a very tight angle to round off his hat-trick. Ciaran Gavin was next to try his luck when he got one-on-one with the keeper but the keeper pulled off a good save. The fourth goal for the Port and Josh Lafferty came near the end when keeper Lewis Lafferty kick the ball out over the defence for his brother to run through and slot the ball home.

Referee’s man of the match — Josh Lafferty  |  The team thank sponsors JD External Building Services and Inverweld

2003s — Port travelled to Beith for a league game. Beith forced Luke Cunningham into an early save as they started the better of the teams, however Port then settled into the game. Beith’s keeper held on to a dangerous cross from Ciaran McLees and Lewis Leitch shot narrowly wide soon after. Lennon Crawley was next to threaten and his run resulted in a corner kick. Josh Miller then headed just over the bar from the corner and came even closer two minutes later when he hit the bar.

Just before half-time, Beith took the lead when a shot from 30 yards gave Luke Cunningham no chance. Port dominated the start of the second half and went 2-1 ahead with goals from Lewis Kerr who scored from a header and Josh Miller who pounced on the keeper spilling the ball from Lee Finlay’s free kick and scored. Beith then equalised and took the lead in controversial circumstances soon after. Lewis Leith forced the keeper into a great save as Port tried to draw level but Beith held on for the win. 

The team thank sponsor Ensite Business Technology

2004s Finnart 3 Port Glasgow BC (Orange) 3

This was the third meeting of the sides in five weeks. The Port created the better of the chances before Finnart took the lead. Before the goal, the Finnart keeper was lucky to be on the park as Byrne chased a through-ball only to be clattered by the keeper just outside the box.

With the Port 1-0 down and the heads going down a bit it was no surprise that Finnart increased their lead to 2-0. The Finnart keeper was in fine form as he first denied Macdonald then Byrne and, probably the best of the three efforts, a shot from Callum Brown which looked destined for top right but somehow the keeper got to it. The Port got back into the game with good interchanging of passes resulting in Declan Byrne eventually getting a shot past the keeper to make it 2:1

With the Port’s tails up, Callum Brown picked up a loose ball on edge of the box and bent that ball to the keepers right and into the net for 2-2. Half time saw the port make a few changes to try and take the game to Finnart. Lyle MacDonald and Michael Doyle combined well with Lyle getting the goal his performance deserved. Unfortunately, the Port gave away another goal in the last 15 minutes.

Scorers: Declan Byrne, Callum Brown, Lyle MacDonald |  Man of the match: Lyle MacDonald

The team thank sponsor Marcus Humphrey

Pin It on Pinterest