Inverclyde Now Logo FOOTBALL — Match Reports From St Andrew’s 2006s (White)

4 May, 2017 | Sport

St Andrew’s Boys’ Club 2006s (White) travelled to Renfrew on Saturday 29 April to meet Renfrew Vics. The game started evenly but it was St Andrew’s who took control with Byrne coming close from a right-foot shot and then Morrison hitting the bar from long range. The Saints were playing some great football which was a joy to watch but they could not find the opening goal. The Vics then had a couple of chances but Kimmons in goal made a great save. Conner then broke after some neat play in defence by Morrison and Morris. It was a fine run by Conner and he was unlucky not to score.

With both teams pushing for the opener, Millar hit the woodwork with a chip. It was looking unlikely that the Saints would score at all but, with a ball in from the left from Conner, Byrne was able to scrape the ball over the line. This spurred them on and a corner from Millar was met by the head of Byrne for his and the team’s second. This turned the game and Bryne completed his hat-trick with a shot on the bounce from long range into the top corner. Both sets of supporters showed their congratulations on this fine strike.Jackson then got in on the act when he moved forward and met a pass from Conner and guided the ball into the net.

Saints got another corner and Bonnar, who had just returned from injury, managed to flick the the ball across the line. Bonnar then became provider when he set up Morris to finish from close range. It was a top performance from the Saints and their hard work and attitude in training is now impacting on the games. Best on the day was Byrne

St Andrew’s welcomed Westerton to Port Glasgow on Saturday 22 April. Both teams started off strongly with some great entertaining football been shown. It was the Saints who got the breakthrough after good work from Millar in the centre of the park. He played in Jackson who turned and slotted home from inside the box. This spurred the team on and they pushed for the second however the Westerton keeper made some great saves. The Saints also rattled the bar with the move-of-the-game. A long pass from Morris was brought down excellently by Conner. He released Byrne on the left and the winger fired a ball low into the box. It was met by Lepick but his shot came back off the bar. Keeper Kimmons was then brought into action and dealt well with a long-range effort.

In the second half there were chances for both teams with Byrne coming close and Beveridge hitting the bar. Morrison had two excellent runs from defence ghosting past the opposition but his teammates could not get on to the end of his final ball. Westerton got the equaliser when a long ball in came off a Saints player’s head and ended up in the back of the net. St Andrew’s pushed for the winner but it wasn’t to be for the youngsters. Best for Saints were Chris Morrison and Liam Conner

St Andrews played an away match at Renfrew on Saturday 8 April against Glenvale (Red). The Saints started off the stronger and, if it hadn’t been for the ‘Vale keeper, they would have taken the lead early on with Byrne coming close after being set up by opposite winger Conner. Morris was also unlucky with a well-struck long range effort. A long throw from Morris was met by Byrne on the volley but the ‘Vale keeper saved yet again. Jackson was also unlucky not to provide the opener with a turn-and-shot from distance which crept over the bar.

The breakthrough eventually came just after half-time when Millar beat a player on the edge of the box and fired high into the net. Millar then notched his and the team’s second when a throw from Byrne found Lepick at the back post. He squared the ball to the active Millar and he finished well. It was Millar who notched the third after an unstoppable run from his own half.

It wasn’t all Saints and the Vale striker scored with a low shot. The Saints powered on the pressure and Jackson was unlucky with a few attempts from distance. Lepick also had a chance at the back post but dragged his shot wide of the target after great work from Conner. Vale got one back near the final whistle with a goal-mouth scramble that the Saints should have got clear. In the last few minutes the defence of Millar and Morrison stayed strong to see out the victory. Best for Saints was hat-trick hero Millar.

The team thank sponsors Utilita, Everwarm and Topp Tiles

Pin It on Pinterest