PARK rangers have urged dog walkers to be vigilant after palm oil was found at Lunderston Bay, near Gourock.
The fatty and waxy substance in white or yellowish blocks is usually foul smelling. Dogs are attracted to it.
It has also been found at Wemyss Bay beach.
Clyde Muirshiel park rangers released a statement explaining: “Whilst it isn’t actually poisonous to dogs, palm oil is often mixed with harmful bacteria and toxic substances such as diesel from ships.
“Common symptoms following ingestion include vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy, dehydration and in some cases pancreatitis – a potentially life-threatening condition.
“Washed up palm oil can also cause blockages within the gut due to its semi-solid state.
“Please be vigilant whilst walking your dog and call your vet for advice if your dog becomes ill.”
Rangers and several regular dog walkers have removed any palm oil they have found.