Inverclyde Now Logo FOOTBALL — Update From Port Glasgow Boys’ Club

8 November, 2017 | Sport

2003s — Glenvale Reds 7 Port Glasgow BC 1

Port travelled to Ferguslie for a cup tie against Glenvale Reds. Port were on the back foot from the start against their higher league opponents but defended well.

The defence of Stiv Morgan, Sean Doherty and Ben Wilson frustrated the Glenvale forwards with Luke Cunningham playing a solid game in goal. 

However, Glenvale took the lead in 15 minutes and added a second after 30 minutes. Port responded with a great goal just before half-time. Lennon Crawley ran down the right wing and passed to Lee Finlay who squared the ball to Josh Miller who made no mistake shooting low past the keeper. 

Port started the second half slowly and lost two quick goals. Luke Cunningham made a number of excellent saves during the half but was unable to stop Glenvale adding another three goals. 

Port never gave up and the same effort will see good results once they are back to playing league games. 

Port Glasgow Boys Club 2003s are sponsored by Ensite Business Technology.

Under-17s Port Glasgow BC 3 EDFC Utd 1

Turning their attention to the Central Region Cup, Port welcomed EDFC Utd to Parklea for this first round tie. Following on from previous weeks, Port came out of the traps quickly and had a few early chances. 

Ryan Phillips played a good ball through to Josh Lafferty whose shot was saved by the keeper to give Port a corner. The resulting corner was met by Ryan Phillips who headed just wide of the post. 

EDFC put Port under a little pressure and won a free kick just outside the box. It was deflected but Lewis Lafferty was on hand with a great reaction save. Ryan Phillips managed to get on to the end of a Scott Marshall free kick but his header was just past the post again. 

EDFC went on another attack but the ball was cut out by Scott MacLeod. He then took the ball out of defence and passed perfectly for Josh Lafferty who beat the offside trap. Josh got through on the keeper but dragged his shot wide of the post. 

With the first half coming to a close, good work from Josh Lafferty saw him set up Ryan Phillips but his shot went just wide.

At the start of the second half, Port piled on the pressure again and they were soon rewarded with a good team goal. A few quick one-twos between Josh McAuslan and Josh Lafferty saw Lafferty down the left wing. He sent a good ball across goal to the back post were Ryan Phillips was on hand to slot home. 

Port made it 2-0 when Josh Brolly played Josh Lafferty in. He rounded the defender on the line before striking home. 

Port made a few changes to get fresh legs on the park and it paid off quickly. Liam McElwee picked the ball up in his own half and went on a run. A pass to Lewis McClure saw him pass wide to Josh Lafferty down the left. Josh again put a good ball in to the box this time for Josh McAuslan to smash the ball in to the net. 

With the game coming to a close, Port fell asleep. EDFC went on the counter attack and managed to get a consolation.

Referee’s Men of the Match — Ryan Phillips and Scott MacLeod.

The Under-17s thank sponsors JD External Building Services, Inverweld and McKinnon Brothers Property Maintenance

Pin It on Pinterest