Inverclyde Now Logo FOOTBALL — Update From Port Glasgow Boys’ Club

17 October, 2017 | Sport

2004s Port Glasgow BC (Orange) 3 Finnart 3

The Port entertained Finnart at Parklea and, although the Port enjoyed the majority of possession in the early stages, it was Finnart who took the lead slightly against the run of play. After Finnart scored, the boys tried hard to get the equaliser with the best efforts coming from corners, David Watt heading straight at the keeper and Kyle Fuller flashing a header just wide.

A pass back from Watt to keeper Hayden had the defender and keeper playing a bit of head tennis before eventually the Finnart player nipped in and poked the ball home. Trialiat Marc lewis nabbed a goal on his debut  picking up a loose ball in the box, taking his time and slotting the ball home  for 2-1. The Port pulled the game level five minutes before the break from a Declan Byrne effort.

The second half started with the Port on the front foot and they won a free kick 25 yards out. Declan Byrne stepped up and took it and the shot squirmed under the keeper to give the Port a 3-2 lead. The Port were being kept on their toes with Finnart hitting the bar and keeper Hayden O’Neill being forced into some good saves.

With the clock ticking down and the Port needing a goal to kill the game off, it was Finnart who nicked the ball of off Fuller, allowing the equaliser which gave Finnart the point they deserved. Man of the match: David Watt.

The team thank sponsor Marcus Humphrey for continued sponsorship

Under-17s Port Glasgow BC 4 Milngavie 2

Port welcomed Milngavie to Parklea for their second league game of the season. Port started the game strong and took the lead in about 10 minutes. Ryan Phillips headed the ball on to Josh Lafferty and continued his run. Josh sent in a perfect cross to the back post for Ryan to score with a header. Port doubled their lead with Ryan and Josh linking up well again. Ryan played it wide to Josh and his cross this time was met at the back post by Jack Anderson who scored with a cool finish. Josh Lafferty was again involved for goal number three when he beat the man on the by-line before cutting it back for Scott Marshall to score with a great strike from 20 yards.

The second half started and Port seemed to fall asleep a little. Milngavie pulled a goal back when a scramble in Port’s box wasn’t cleared. Port’s fourth goal again involved Josh Lafferty. This time Reuben Ballingall played a great ball through for Josh to run on to and coolly slot past the keeper. Milngavie did manage to score again late on but it was nothing more than a consolation. Port had keeper Lewis McClure to thank for a string of fine saves in the second half. Referee’s man of the match: Josh Lafferty

Under-17s Motherwell FCCT 1 Port Glasgow BC 2

With a bit of a depleted squad, next up for Port was a trip to face Motherwell FCCT. In this league encounter, Port came out of the traps flying and almost took the lead in the first minute when Jack Purdie sent Josh Lafferty down the left and he put a good cross in to the box but Ryan Phillips was just unable to get on the end of it. Port went on the attack again when Josh Lafferty got on the end of Ryan Phillips’s flick-on but the Motherwell keeper pulled off a good save from the resulting shot. Again Ryan and Josh linked up well but the keeper was on hand with a good save. Port kept piling on the pressure and a good ball in to the box from Reuben Ballingall saw Josh Brolly force the keeper in to a fine save. Next to try for Port was Jack Anderson who got on to the end of a good ball from Ciaran Gavin but his final shot went wide. Then, totally against the run of play, Motherwell took the lead. A long ball forward caught out Port’s defence before the striker slotted the ball home. Port had one last chance just before half-time but Ryan Phillips’s header just went wide from Reuben Ballingall’s corner.

The second half again was all one-way traffic. Reuben Ballingall tried a shot from distance but it pulled just wide. Ryan Phillips then found himself in space and got round the keeper but his shot hit the post. Jack Anderson went a run down the left and put a good ball into the box but Josh Brolly put his header just wide. Port made a few changes to the team and also the formation, moving from their preferred 3-5-2 to 4-4-2. The changes worked straight away as Shaun Grierson sent the ball up the right for Ryan Phillips to knock it into the path of Josh McAuslan who ran into the box and slotted the ball under the keeper to pull Port level. Jack Anderson found himself through on goal again only for the keeper to make yet another good save. The ball fell to Jack again but his shot was the cleared off the line from the Motherwell defender. Port had another good chance when Reuben Ballingall sent a great free kick into the box but Ryan Phillips just put the ball wide. With time running out, Port went on another attack and managed to get yet another corner. Reuben Ballingall again put another great ball into the box which was met by Ciaran Gavin to head past the keeper to give Port an injury-time winner and send them back home with a well-deserved three points. Referee’s man of the match: Reuben Ballingall

The team thank sponsor JD External Building Service and Inverweld

Pin It on Pinterest