Inverclyde Now Logo FOOTBALL — Update From Port Glasgow Boys’ Club

6 September, 2017 | Sport

2008s — The team were minus a few of the squad this weekend because of holidays but the remaining boys were ready for the fixture against St Andrew’s BC at Parklea. In the first ten minutes, St Andrew’s pressed the boys back but some astute clearances from Oliver and Leo kept the score 0-0 with Euan making a couple of very good saves. When Cameron came on to lead the line, the chances started to appear and Logan was able to produce a sublime finish high into the goal for the opener. Late on in the first half Kieran and Sam bundled in a couple of goals to put the shine on a good first half. In the second half, Leo moved into midfield and Ben came back on to patrol the left side. The boys were even better in this half and Ben was bang on form, evading a few tackles and blocks from the goalie to eventually grab a well-deserved goal. Sam and Cam continued their great form with more goals, and Max was in charge of the defence helping Euan record a clean sheet. This was a fine team performance.

2004s Port Glasgow BC (Black) v Giffnock Thistle

The Port entertained Giffnock Thistle in a league match at Parklea. The game started with the teams struggling to get control of the ball and play any football. Giffnock took lead when they won a throw-in deep in the Port half and, with the simplest of movements, found their attacker free at the back post to strike home via the inside of the post. However the Port fought back and it wasn’t long before Darroch finished well after good build-up play set him free inside the 18-yard box. Play went from end to end, with the Port playing some good football at times, however Giffnock took the lead with a shot from outside the box which found the top corner. The Port continued to press and had a few chances which were wasted. They came in at the break trailing 2-1.

The second half saw very little action at the start, the teams cancelling each other out. Giffnock added to their tally when a quickly-taken throw resulted in their forward firing home from eight yards out. The Port then lost their way in the match and the defence and McDougall in goal had to work overtime to keep Giffnock at bay. With a few minutes remaining, Giffnock added a fourth from a free kick at the edge of the box.

The team thank sponsors Ian Millar of Millar Property and Michael Stevenson

2004s Ferguslie Park 3 Port Glasgow BC (Orange) 3

The boys made the short trip to Ferguslie Park to take on Ferguslie All Stars. They took a while to get going and probably should have been a few goals to the good before a pass intended for a Port player struck the referee and sent the Ferguslie Park player clear to score. Declan Byrne had a chance to equalize for the Port but the referee gave off-side much to the disagreement of the side line. A bit of brilliance from a trialist saw him beat a player, cut inside and, from a tight angle, beat the Ferguslie keeper. With the first half coming to a close, Ferguslie increased their lead 2-1.

In the second half, the Port couldn’t get the ball to work for them. Some soft passes and some poor decision-making were making their opponents look the better side. Hayden O’Neill pulled off a few cracking saves but could do nothing as Ferguslie stretched their lead to 3-1.

As the Port eventually grew into the game, there was a glimmer of light as Lyle MacDonald entered the field of play and almost immediately made an impact stabbing the ball home from a corner. With the clock ticking down, the Port won a free kick 25 yards out; Declan Byrne placed the ball down and he had only one thing on his mind as he fired the ball over the keeper and in to the top right of the goal. The Port were now looking hungry and had several chances to win the game with Lyle MacDonald, Declan Byrne, Paddy Gault and Callum Brown all coming close.

The team thank sponsor Marcus Humphrey

Scorers: Trailist, Lyle MacDonald, Declan Byrne  |  Man of the match: Callum Brown

2003s Port Glasgow BC 5 Erskine United 2

Port welcomed Erskine to Parklea for their fourth league game of the season and took the lead in five minutes when an Erskine defender headed into his own net from a Ciaran McLees corner. The lead did not last long however and Erskine equalised soon after. Josh Miller shot over the bar when played through and Lee Finlay was unlucky when his free kick went narrowly over. Erskine nearly scored when their midfielder turned at the edge of the box and his shot was just over the bar. Lewis Kerr ran down the right and cut the ball back to Steven Morgan who made no mistake from inside the box to score. Erskine scored just before half-time when their player ran through from midfield to equalise. Port got their third early in the second half when Lee Finlay scored from Josh Miller’s excellent cross. Ryan O’Connor had a free kick well saved as Port tried to add to their lead. Josh Miller played a great pass to Lee Finlay who scored. Lewis Leitch then had a header well saved by the keeper but two minutes later he scored when he gave the keeper no chance after a long run.

The team thank sponsor Ensite Business Technology

Pin It on Pinterest