Inverclyde Now Logo FOOTBALL — Update From Port Glasgow Boys’ Club

30 August, 2017 | Sport

2008s — The squad was on league duty with a fixture at Parklea against Bishopton. Goalie Euan was celebrating his 9th birthday and the boys were keen to give him a performance to enjoy. The team started well and earned an early lead. Sam and Cameron were among the goals with Oliver again displaying his defensive skills. Midway through the first half, and after a raft of changes, the boys found themselves a few goals behind. A late flurry and effort saw the team almost get back on track. Credit to a Bishopton for a great performance.

2004s — Giffnock (Black) 4 – Port Glasgow BC (Black) 2

The boys travelled to Neilston to play Giffnock (Black) for the second time in the space of 10 days. The Port were determined to get revenge for their earlier reverse and started well with Smith scoring in the first few minutes. However the lead didn’t last long; Giffnock were awarded a dubious free kick on the edge of the box which they fired high into the net. Play went from end to end with the teams having a few changes but there were no more goals in the first half.

The second half began with more from end-to-end play, without many chances. Giffnock broke the second half deadlock although the goal was clearly offside — Giffnock had a shot at goal and, as the Port defence charged it down, it broke to one of three Giffnock players alone in the six-yard box to slot home. The referee, to everyone’s amazement awarded the goal. This seemed to rock the Port and, for the next 10 minutes, they struggled to get back in the game. Giffnock added a third when a cross ball was allowed to travel across the box to the forward to tap home. Just as heads were beginning to drop, the introduction of a few subs seemed to galvanise the boys and Smith added the Port’s second, and his own, with a neat finish from the edge of the box into the bottom corner. The boys continued to press and Smith hit the post. But it was to no avail as Giffnock scored a fourth goal late on.

Scorer: Smith (2)  |  Players and coaches thank sponsors Ian Millar of Millar Property and Michael Stevenson

2004s — St Cadoc’s 1 – Port Glasgow BC (Orange) 3

St Cadoc’s kicked off and the Port pressed the ball well and hassled their defence without causing them to much concern. The first bit of action saw a long ball from St Cadoc’s catching the Port defence napping. A last-gasp tackle from David Watt cleared the danger but the opposition were awarded a free kick. This set the tone for the first half with both sets of players and coaches giving the referee a bit of stick for what they thought were unnecessary decisions. When David Watt passed the ball back to keeper O’Neill, who cleared the ball up the field, the ref decided it was a corner and, from the resulting corner, St Cadoc’s scored. With the ref seemingly taking a dislike to the Port, it was a surprise when a through-ball to Declan Byrne was given as on-side, as Dec raced clear to bring the Port level in what had been a scrappy game till then, with neither side playing attractive football. The Port”s next chance fell to Dec again but he was barged in the back in the penalty area. With Dec on the floor, amazingly the ref awarded a free kick to St Cadoc’s. 

In the second half, Port trialist Michael found some space but couldn’t get the ball from under his feet. More and more chances where created by the Port with Callum Brown smashing the ball of the bar after taking on a few defenders. Paddy Gault was next to try his luck driving at the defence but his shot was straight at the keeper. The Port had more than enough chances to put the game to bed with Brown, P.Gault, Michael and Byrne all shooting straight at the keeper. The Port had another clear penalty denied as Byrne chased a ball down only to be clattered by the keeper.

Declan Byrne got second for the Port, to calm the nerves, when he beat the keeper with a free kick 25 yards out. The Port began to pass the ball well with another trialist, Evan, getting his chance to shine on the left, taking the ball for a few runs down the wing and cutting inside looking for a pass. Declan got a deserved hat-trick when he pounced to score the third for the Port. In the dying moments of the game, substitute Matthew Anderson had two good chances to increase the Port’s lead but it wasn’t to be.

Coaches wish to thank all the parents on getting the boys up nice anf early to make the game and a big thanks and well done to both Evan and Micheal. The boys worked hard and got the result they deserved.

Scorer — Byrne (3)  Man of the match – Declan Byrne  |  The team thank sponsor Marcus Humphrey House


Westerton United 1 – Port Glasgow 7

Port Glasgow lost an early goal but came straight back into the game when Lee Finlay finished off a long run, shooting low past the keeper. Josh Miller then set up Lee Finlay for his second after beating the defender and putting in an excellent cross. Just before half-time Lewis Kerr made it 3 – 1 when he turned the defender and scored from the edge of the box. Port continued their good form in the second half and Lewis Kerr scored the fourth from 30 yards and Lee Finlay then scored his third goal soon after. Josh Miller added a sixth when he chipped the ball past the goalkeeper. Late in the game Owen O’Rourke played a pass to Sean Docherty who finished the scoring.

Hillwood BC Thistle 3 – Port Glasgow 4

Port started the game slowly again and lost an early goal. Owen O’Rourke was then denied by the keeper who made a double save. He was unlucky a few minutes later when he hit the post and Sean Docherty shot just wide of the goal. Half-way through the half, Lee Finlay shot low past the keeper to equalise. Port took the lead just before half time when Sean Docherty scored from a pass by Lee Finlay. Lewis Kerr made it 3-1 to the Port when he won the ball in midfield, ran through on goal and made no mistake. Port were awarded a penalty after a rash tackle but Ciaran McLees’s shot was well saved by the keeper. Port scored a fourth when David Irvine headed in an excellent corner by Ciaran McLees. Hillwood scored two late goals but Port held on to get the three points.

Port Glasgow 2003 thank sponsor Ensite Business Technology

Pin It on Pinterest