Sunday October 23, 2016
01:15 GMT

PostHeaderIcon FOOTBALL -- Port Glasgow Boys' Club Update

Under-21s Triumph On Penalties -- Port Glasgow BC 1 Claremont FC 1 (Port won 5-4 on penalties)

Port progressed to the next round of the West of Scotland Cup defeating First Division opponents. They started off slowly and lost a goal in the first five minutes. It took the Port about 25 minutes to get started but, once they did, they were the better team. The effort from all boys again was excellent with some nice football played at times. Port’s goal came from Darren Patton. Penalty scorers were Ryan Stewart, Paul Johnstone, Darren Patton, Ross McLaughlin and Jack Maxfield. Men of the match: Aiden McMillan and Robbie Graham. The 21s thank The Square Restaurant, McKinnon Brothers property maintenance and PMc School of Motoring for sponsorship.

Port Glasgow BC 1 Hamilton 3

In this Scottish Cup tie, played in severe weather conditions, the Port Boys went ahead when Sam Pollock took the ball past the keeper to hit the back of the net. But in the final 20 minutes Hamilton gained three goals to see them through. Referee’s man of the match: Daniel Bamford.Team sponsor: Garvel.

Under-17s Port Glasgow BC 7 Cunningham Crusaders 1

The 17s kept alive the Scottish Cup dream for Port Glasgow this weekend with a great victory at Parklea. Goals from Lewis Rankin (2), Aidan Sharp (2), Darryn Robertson (2) and Christopher Grierson secured the win. Referee’s man of the match was Jack McGrogan. The team are looking to strengthen their squad -- anyone interested should call Stiv on 07984 980154 or come along to Parklea on Tuesdays or Thursdays.

The Under-17s thank Tam Sharp of Sharp Response for his continued support over the last few years. The boys are pictured in their new strip with Tam.


Port Glasgow BC 2 Pirrie Park 4 -- The 15s lost out to Pirrie Park mid week with goals from Paul Payne and Connor Duffy. Referee’s man of the match was Connor Hitchinson.

Port Glasgow BC 7 Erskine 1 -- On Saturday the boys travelled to Erskine and came out on top with a great 7-1 victory. Goals came from Connor Duffy (2), Stuart Barnes (2), Nicky Grierson, Ciaran Murray and David Marshall. Referee’s man of the match was Connor Duffy.

Team sponsor: S Johnston Joinery and Building Contractors


Port Glasgow BC 3 Stamperland 2.

The 2001s travelled through to Eaglesham to play Stamperland on Wednesday night. On an excellent playing surface, Port Glasgow started the game well pushing Stamperland back and having a lot of the ball. Port opened the scoring through a great pass from Scott Marshall to Ryan Phillips who scored with a good left foot finish. Port continued to press the game but lost a goal from a free kick put into the box. Once again Port went on the attack and Declain Adair put a cross into the box for Aaron McGoldrick to score on his first start, but before half time Stamperland brought themselves level when Port lost a goal from a corner kick.

Into the second half and there were very few chances being created. Then Stamperland won a penalty kick but Lewis McClure pulled of a fantastic double save to keep Port level. As the game opened up more, Ryan Phillips put Port ahead with his second of the game to keep up his good scoring form. Stamperland continued to press for the equaliser but the Port’s defence -- Josh, Shaun, Brandon and Curtis – was not prepared to give an inch. Port held on for a very good win. This was a good team performance to keep moving Port up the league table and the boys must
keep this standard up. Referee’s man of the match: Brandon McCabe.

Langcraigs 0  Port Glasgow BC 6

Port made the short trip up the M8 on Saturday morning to play Langcraigs at St James’s Playing fields in Paisley. The first half started with Port on full attack. Numerous chances came their way but no one was able to capitalise until a good strike by Brandon McCabe from well outside the box flew over the top of the Langcraigs keeper and into the back of the net. Another great strike from Brandon forced the Langcraigs keeper into a good save but no one from Port was following in to get on the end of the spill. Brandon then played a good ball through to Declan Adair but his shot was pulled just past the post.

In the second half Port started to find their shooting boots. Sean O'Donnell played a good ball through to Ryan Phillips who unleashed a good strike past the keeper and into the net. Ryan then got his second when he got on to the end of a good cross into the box from Scott Marshall from wide on the left. Jack Anderson picked the ball up midway in the Langcraigs half and went on a run skipping past three defenders before chipping the ball over the Langcraigs keeper to put Port further ahead. Good play from Scott Marshall saw him get into the Langcraigs box before he was brought down to win Port a penalty. Up stepped Brandon McCabe to strike the ball low into the bottom left corner. A long ball forward by Port keeper Dimitris Cameron saw good play between Ross McKay and Ryan Phillips before Ryan capped a great second half by rounding off his hat-trick.

Referees Man of the Match - Ryan Phillips

Port still have some space in their squad; anyone interested in a trial should contact Ian on 07753 846465 or Bryan on 07969 760291. Thanks to sponsor Inverweld for continued support.

2003s –- The 2003s played Erskine on Saturday morning. They started off well and were unlucky not to go ahead early on. When they lost a silly goal, the boys’ heads went down and they were unable to secure a win. Sponsored by Carpetrite.

2004s (Black) -- Port Boys travelled to Ferguslie sports complex to take on Langcraigs BC in a bright and sunny early morning fixture. As the match kicked off, neither team really got hold of the game and the first five minutes was a scrappy affair. As the game progressed, the Port boys finally got to grips with it and started to dominate proceedings playing some lovely football. The boys found the breakthrough midway through the first half. A ball played from the middle of the park split the Langcraigs defence wide open and was dispatched well past the goalie. It wasn't long before the boys increased their lead. A run from midfield then a powerful shot which the Langcraigs keeper could only palm away fell perfectly for the Port boys following up to slot home and go into half-time leading.

The second half saw the boys continue to dominate the game keeping Langcraigs pinned well inside their own half with a great spell of pressure, just unable to convert and add to their tally. Then, totally against the run of play, a clearance from defence saw Langcraigs in to pull a goal back and get back into the match. The Port boys went straight back on the attack holding a high line, pressuring well and creating chance after chance. But a combination of snatching at chances and what was a great display by the Langcraigs goalkeeper, saw the game remain tight when the boys should have been out of sight. With five minutes remaining and the Port boys on the attack trying to put the game to bed, another clearance saw Langcraigs in to equalise with an identical goal the boys were disappointed to concede. The Port pushed for the winner putting the Langcraigs defence and goalkeeper under pressure right till the final whistle. The game ending in a draw although it felt more like a defeat after dominating the match the way they did. It was a fantastic effort from the boys on the day though, learning with every match, playing some lovely football in spells with good movement. A bit more clinical play in front of goal will see the boys get more reward in future matches. Goalscorer: McBride. Coaches thank B. Buick and Sons (Bodyshop) for sponsorship.

2004s (Orange) -- Saturday saw the Port Boys take on Parkmoor. Both teams started well and there wasn't much between the sides with a Marc McDonald strike separating the teams at half time. The game really opened up in the second half with Parkmoor equalizing almost immediately after the restart. At 1-1 the game was flowing from end to end, the port eventually regaining the lead through Kyle Fuller. The lead didn't last long as Parkmoor started to come out on top, in a five-minute spell scoring a couple of goals to take the advantage in the game. The Port dug deep and showed the same kind of passion and fight that has been evident in recent weeks with Marc McDonald adding to his tally with a superb effort and an over-elaborate celebration to match. Raymond Keyes continued his good form by grabbing a double. Niall Brady, who had been tormenting the Parkmoor defence with his jinking runs and nutmegs, had the final say on the day tapping home from close range. There was a lot of good football played by both teams and coaches from both teams couldn't have asked any more from their players, It was a fantastic game of football to watch. Special mention should go to Aidan McLachlan who was superb, breaking up the attacks and the ball from defence was a lot better than it has been. Thanks to sponsor Marcus Humphrey for their continued support.

2005s –- The squad had no training or game this week but will resume as normal on Sunday at Notre Dame; any call-offs should contact Gillian.

2006s –- This age group was also off this weekend but continue to train as normal. Ronnie will advise of all details.

The club are holding a bingo night on Friday 4 October in Upper Port, a disco for the kids within the club on Friday 8 November in Boglestone Community Centre and the sportsman’s dinner on Saturday 26 October in Port Glasgow Town Hall. Contact any club official for more information.